|Season 2, Episode 18|
|Air date||April 22, 2010|
|Written by|| Josh Singer|
|Directed by||Jeffrey Hunt|
| ← previous|
| next →|
|Cast | Transcript|
When two teenagers on a date turn up “dead” at an abandoned warehouse with the three puncture wounds to the soft palate – a trademark of the shape-shifters – the Fringe team investigates the evidence as well as the motives of mastermind Newton. Upon discovering a shape-shifting embryo, Walter returns to the lab to conduct further analysis, and Olivia and Peter head to Massive Dynamic for answers. Meanwhile, Peter reveals a family secret to Olivia as Walter struggles to recall what Newton knows about “building a door.”
A teenage boy names Dave enters an abandoned warehouse and comes across something growing. A monster attacks and kills him, then steals his identity, revealing it to be a Shape-shifter. It then goes outside to where Jill Redmond is waiting in a car. She recognizes the boy, before another Shape-shifter emerges. The boy quickly kills her.
Walter finds signs of the three-prong device in each victim's mouth, confirming the presence of shape-shifters. They also find a strange organic orb. Walter autopsies it and discovers in contains a dead, partially developed Shape-shifter.
The two surviving Shape-shifters meet with Thomas Jerome Newton, who has the female kill a bank manager named Ben McCalister and place a strange device in the vault. Meanwhile, Olivia Dunham visits Massive Dynamic to find out the origins of a strange signal being sent to the Shape-shifters. For three seconds, it runs in perfect sync with a similar signal, leading Walter to believe that Newton may use the synchronization of the universes to bring something across. Over the next day, Newton's men plant two more devices, one in a hospital morgue and another on a power pole. Walter states that the devices will be used to form a triangle, in the center of which the cross over will take place. The team locate a bridge and Peter Bishop attempts to sacrifice himself while Olivia fights the Shape-shifters. The shockwaves destroy an FBI agent, but Peter and the man who crosses over both survive. Later, Peter realizes that he is from the other side and disappears. As the episode ends, Newton is treating the unknown man, who he refers to as "Mr Secretary", for the issues caused by crossing over.
Olivia: You remember what you told Newton?
Walter: No, but as they say in Finland...
Walter, Peter, and Astrid: ...there's more than one way to roast a reindeer.
Walter: Every living thing dies. As a scientist, that's one of the hardest things to accept, that--that we try to understand the mechanisms of life, but inevitably, we can't defeat death, no matter how much we--we may want to.
Walter: A well-ordered house is--is the sign of a well-ordered mind.
Peter: Yeah, but staying up all night to find the perfect place for your laundry hamper is the sign of something else, in my books.
Olivia: Walter, have you seen anything like this before?
Walter: I think I may have. It's awfully familiar. Ah, yes. It reminds me of a beanbag chair I once owned... 1974.
Peter: I want you to get some rest dad.
Walter: Dad...you just called me dad.
Peter: I guess I did.
Peter: I am not from here, am I? You didn't just open a hole to the other side...you went through and you brought me back. That's why I was able to survive Newton's device. That's why I can't remember my childhood.
Peter: I am not your son!
- The Observer is found to the right of Thomas Jerome Newton's face when he walks into the bank. He is standing at the counter.
- Peter Bishop refers to Walter Bishop as "Dad" in this episode.
- The license plate on Olivia Dunham's car reads R2D2-C3PO.
- Although credited, Blair Brown (Nina Sharp) does not appear in this episode.
- A deleted scene from another Bad Robot Production show - Lost - is briefly shown when the team is watching the broadcast with the disturbance from the alternative universe. The full deleted scene can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWyb_IbnX0A
- When the first teenager is found dead, no one acknowledges the broken glass on the car. That would be the first indication to inspect inside the warehouse. The reason they take a look, is because of a joint without lipstick. Indicating that the dead girl wearing lipstick, wasn't alone.
- Peter mentions a Star Trek convention at the Worcester Centrum. This venue's name was changed to the DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) Center several years ago.
- "Tom Sawyer" by Rush